One of the saddest aspects of our society is what the population idolizes as beauty. There was a time in my life, mainly my early twenties, when I seemed to invest most of my disposable income on my appearance. I was often riding trends. Head to the gym, cake on bronzer, go to the beauty store for some cover up, blow out your hair, chemically straighten your curls. When I look back at all of the time and money I invested in hiding bags under my eyes, bleaching my hair, powdering my face, and lining my eyes with black make-up, I see a lot of wasted energy.
While I finish editing my book, I have been working in a holistic health foods store. All of my disposable income has been redirected into good nutrition and whole food vitamin supplements. After a major lifestyle change, I feel I don’t have to try so hard to feel beautiful. A good nights rest and rolling out of bed is all I need. The left photo is what I looked like in 2009 spending hundreds of dollars a month on my appearance and spending countless hours in the bathroom. The right photo in the picture is what I looked like after rolling out of bed and throwing on a peasant top with my sugilite crystal. I should also add I just worked an 8 hour day on my feet when I took this photo. While some people may prefer the left, I prefer the right. I don’t have to try anymore and I feel like I have more energy than I did when I was 21.
There are a few things I changed up:
1. Moisturizer- Cell Food Gel. Cell Food has eliminated my need for cover-up or photoshopping wrinkles with a process that oxygenates your cells naturally. The product is full of enzymes, minerals, lavender oil, and aloe vera. I just put on a thin layer after I wash my face with hemp soap.
2. Probiotics- Megafood Megaflora Plus (50 billion) and fermented foods. Probiotics do so much for the immune system, skin, and digestive system. Having a healthy level of good bacteria in your gut can change your life in so many ways. I used to have dry skin and psoriasis that cleared up after a month of taking them. Probiotics help absorb more nutrients, making any other vitamins or produce you consume more effective and nourishing for your body.
3. Wholefood MultiVitamin- Megafood One Daily. Taking a good multi made a difference in my energy level in about a week. Over time, I noticed my hair, skin, and nails were better. I used to wear hair extensions all of the time and get my acrylics filled on my nails every two weeks. Now my hair is thick, long, and full, and my nails don’t break as easily.
4. Vegan diet- eliminating dairy. I was a vegetarian for 12 years before going vegan in 2014. I don’t get sick anymore, or have mucus issues in the winter, and I am losing weight. My work out regimen has been light yoga work outs, but cutting dairy alone has helped me feel healthier than when I consumed dairy and completed P90x in the picture on the left. Focusing on healthy plant food based on organic, non-GMO produce has also increased the nutrients in my diet.
5. Eliminate chemicals. No synthetics here. Having chemical-free hair products, dying my hair without ammonia, and removing chemicals from my diet has really changed up my lifestyle. There are so many natural, effective alternatives. I used to spend so much money on chemical-ridden strips to whiten my teeth. Now, they are white through brushing with Tom’s Fluoride-free toothpaste with Xylitol for whitening. Not only is it cheaper to use coconut oil on your hair than the leading chemical-ridden hair mask, it is super nourishing for your hair, scalp, and skin. Your body absorbs so much through your pores that you start to notice feeling healthier when you choose natural products.
These 5 changes have helped me feel so comfortable in my own skin. When I see old friends of mine still living in a lifestyle where they are spending so much money on the appearance of being healthy and happy, it makes me sad for them because in the end, they aren’t really being healthy at all. Spending money on nutrition instead of beauty products can transform your life. Your appearance becomes a reflection of the healthy being inside instead of a facade. The picture on the right is me today without any make-up. I am full of nutrients and natural products, and I feel I have never looked better. Try it for yourself. ❤️